1965 Jaguar E Type (RG)
Restoration log by Dan Mooney


   
 

 
We restored this 1965 roadster in the Team CJ Workshops a little over ten years ago and she is now back in for a refresh and a few upgrades! Items on the agenda are a 4.7L Stage Two engine build, a major mechanical service, some paint correction and a set of Team CJ Borrani wire wheels.



 


Update report - October 12, 2020

I am pleased to report that we have now completed your Stage Two engine rebuild and will be running it on the test stand in the next few days.






































































Update report - October 10, 2020

Final assembly time for this 4.7 L Stage Two engine rebuild.













































Update report - September 25, 2020

Corey has now completed all of the machine work to the block and this Stage Two 4.7L engine is now ready for final assembly.



Torque plate honing in progress
Surfacing the block











Balancing the billet stroked crank























Block now ready for assembly






















As clean an engine as you will ever see!






Update report - September 22, 2020



Machining counter bores for custom top hat liners
Pressing the new liners into place










Preparing to surface the deck












Preparing to align hone main housings











View down all seven main housings





Update report - September 15, 2020

We have just received a new set of stunning Borrani RW4602/CJ wire wheels for the E Type!










Update report - September 3, 2020

This Stage Two cylinder head rebuild has now been completed.


Disassembly underway Pressure testing head after cleaning - pass










Honing tappet guides for custom TCJ tappets A view down one of the intake runners after porting










Although the head had been ported previously, we
still picked up healthy gains on the flow bench
Machine work and porting has now been completed






















New stainless steel valves installed Head now fully assembled and ready to install









































Update report - August 5, 2020
Engine tear down and 4.7L conversion underway!















Clutch and flywheel will be upgraded for the 4.7L
Stage Two rebuild











Upgraded rear seal we installed 10 years ago has
worked perfectly









































The block will be disassembled next





Update report - July 31, 2020
Engine and transmission have been removed










































































































Update report - July 29, 2020























Update report - July 27, 2020
Just for a bit of fun we did a couple of pulls on the chassis Dyno before we remove the engine for rebuild. The car is running pretty rich in the mid-range but put down a respectable 204 hp and 223 ft/lbs at the wheels, which equates to about 255 hp and 279 ft/lbs at the flywheel. It will be interesting to see how much we pick up following the 4.7L Stage Two engine rebuild!










Vehicle as delivered - July 22, 2020





Interior has held up pretty well










There is a large door ding in the lH 1/4 panel



































Exhaust has been dinged but will be replaced
anyway with our Stage Two system











Front suspension bushings will be replaced, there
is some surface rust on the control arms
LH rear overrider will be replaced










Right hand louver has several chips that will
be repaired











A few minor flaws in the paint will be addressed












Most of the rubber seals are dried out and cracking
and will be replaced




































Steering wheel is cracked and will be repaired
or replaced
This ding has been caused by something hitting
the underside of the bonnet










Bonnet safety latch is broken
Screen washer bottle will be replaced










One carb dash pot tab is broken, athough SUs will
be replaced with Webers
Several rubber seals are coming loose and will be
replaced










LH headlamp chrome trim screw is stripped out





Go to main Team CJ workshop