Type FHC (RF)
|Restoration Log by Dan Mooney
Another restoration wrapped up just in time for the holidays! The following photos were taken earlier this week during final road testing.
It was great to see you the other day! It is high time I uploaded some photos of the interior restoration for you, so here they are! Suede Green really is one of my favorite options for a Jaguar interior. You will see below that I compared the color of the new Suffolk & Turley hides to an original 1960's vintage Connolly swatch. The original Connolly hide part number for Suede Green was VM3510.
We will be firing the engine and running the car on the chassis dyno in the next week or so.
|Always fun when our customers visit to
|Suede Green Suffolk & Turley interior
|1960's Connolly swatch book
||The original Connolly part number for Suede
|S&T hide an excellent match for the
||Seats are now trimmed and ready to install
|Hector has been busy trimming the luggage
|Engine bay now pretty much complete
||Time to test run the car on the chassis
Engine and drive train now installed.
Rebuilt IRS has now been installed and car is back on its (slave) wheels for the first time in a long time!
We have now installed the engine frames and the engine bay is filling up rapidly.
|Installing the engine frames
|IRS has been fully rebuilt
||Engine bay filling up rapidly
I am delighted to report that we have now completed the painting process.
|Gerardo preparing to apply 3M Rocker Guard
to the front inner wheel arches
|Underside of the bonnet now British Racing
||The body and doors being set up in the
|The bodyshell is now BRG
||Body moved to the mechanical workshop for
|Next job will be to install the engine
Every piece of chrome throughout the entire car has been re-plated.
I am pleased to report that the majority of the bodywork has now been completed and the car has been coated with Spies Hecker Raderal polyester primer.
|Car is now ready for Raderal polyester
||At this stage the panel gaps have been
|Masking the body and bonnet prior to
|Raderal polyester primer now applied
|Doors and tailgate are installed for
||Another freshly minted E Type body!
Your suede green Suffolk & Turley interior kit laid out in the CJ trim room earlier today.
The stripped body has now been sealed in epoxy primer and the guys in the trim room have been busy restoring your dash panels.
|Preparing to seal the bare metal bodyshell
|Outer body now sealed with epoxy primer
|Dash panels have been restored in the trim
|Refinished heater box
We have now stripped all the old paint, primer and bondo from the bodyshell. I am happy to report there were no nasty surprises lurking beneath the paint!
When embarking upon any bare metal repaint project, there is always some degree of trepidation about what we might find lurking beneath trim, carpets, and ultimately beneath several layers of paint and body filler. Unfortunately, more often than not, we uncover major corrosion issues that can significantly affect the scope of the project. On this occasion, I am delighted to report that the structural condition of your car appears to be remarkably solid. In fact, the main floors, inner sills and boot floor are as solid as you could ever hope to find in a 50 year old E Type!
|Stripping away as much of the interior as
necessary to repair/replace footwells
|Draining gad tank prior to storage mean the
original tank is in great shape!
|Factory applied cosmoline still on spare
||Boot floor is bone dry and appears to be
|Main cabin floors are extremely (unusually)
||New Team CJ alloy bonnet has already been
Your firewall has now been stripped, repaired and repainted.
|Repaired firewall sealed in epoxy primer
||Stabilizer bracket now repaired and welded
back in place
|4 coats of Old English White has the
looking like new again
|Nickel plated suspension and brake
I am delighted to report that your Stage Two 4.7L engine rebuild has now been completed!
|Preparing the main caps for an align hone
|Align hone in progress
||Main caps following the align hone
|Measuring forged stroker pistons prior to
torque plate honing process
|Balancing the billet stroked crank
|Surfacing the block with timing
chain cover installed
|Preparing components for final assembly
||Carrillo rods and forged CJ pistons
|Beautiful billet RBR oil pump
|Measuring the deck height (zero)
|Assembling the short block
|Custom Cometic head gasket
|Another Stage Two 4.7L stroker build
||Time to get the engine bay ready for the
|To be continued!
|Repair panel now welded in place
Lots of progress in the CJ engine shop...
|Tearing down the cylinder head
||Measuring cam saddle warpage (.015)
|Machining cam cover rails
||Custom CJ valve seats installed
|Honing valve guides
||Magnaflux crack checking block
|Very healthy gains on the flow bench
following our portwork
|Measuring custom top hat liners
|Exhaust runner after porting
||Porting intake runner picked up more than
|Machining out old sleeves
||Some minor cracks will be taken care of
|Machining exhaust gasket flange
||Surfacing deck of cylinder head
I am delighted to report that we have this exciting new project underway. This car will receive a total mechanical rebuild featuring a host of high performance reliability upgrades. Once finished, this will be one of the fastest road legal E Types in the world.
|Chris about to remove your engine and
|Car has a much earlier picture frame
||Rear stabilizer bracket has been subjected
some industrial welding in the past
|Home made bonnet hinge
||Engine and transmission rebuild already