Lamborghini Miura P400 (RG)
||Service Log by Dan Mooney
Earlier today legendary Lamborghini factory test driver Valentino Balboni piloted this beautiful Miura for three "aggressive laps" around MSR in Houston. Mr. Balboni had driven the car previously and I am proud to report that he declared our recently completed mechanical work a complete success. He told the owner of the car, who was a passenger for the laps around MSR, "It is like a different car...better than expected."
Click on the photo below for a short video clip of the legend behind the wheel.
I am pleased to report that we have now completed the transmission rebuild and been busy tuning the rebuilt Webers on the Dyno. Earlier today I took the car out for some initial road testing, which went very well.
|Road test video # 1
||Road test video # 2
|Installing the engine and transmission
|Preparing to reinstall rear clip/engine
|Time to run the car through its paces on
||Tuning the rebuilt Webers on the Dyno
We have now completely rebuilt the Weber carbs and will be wrapping up the transmission rebuild in the next couple of days. We are on schedule to reinstall the engine and transmission on Wednesday of next week.
|Carb prior to disassembly
|Air corrector jets were very sooty
|Measuring float height
|Cleaning carb bodies
|Carbs now fully rebuilt
|Comparing old (L) and new (R) synchros
|Assembling the main shaft with
|This is the shifter box
||New gaskets used as we go back together
|Installing the diff spacer (bearing
|Assembling the shifter box
Removing and disassembling the transmission for rebuild.
|8mm wrench has apparently been wedged in
place for many years...
|Removing the clutch cover
|Differential is in good condition
|2nd gear synchro is in very bad shape
|Comparing new 2nd gear with original (on
||Comparing old and new synchros
|Plenty of evidence this is not the first
transmission has been apart
When the time comes to go back together with this project, we will upgrade the headers and exhaust with a superb quality replacement system from Quick Silver in England.
I am pleased to report that we now have this project underway. Interesting to note that the engine is date stamped July 27, 1967, meaning we removed it on its 50th birthday!
||Rear clip will add a little Italian flair
to my office
for a few weeks
|Webers will be rebuilt
|Engine and transmission removed
||Interesting that the engine was removed on
its 50th birthday!
|Cylinder heads are also date stamped
The following photographs cover the relocation of the driver's seat belt shoulder anchor, and the installation of new front brake rotors.
|Installing a seat belt anchor point over
driver's left shoulder
|Cutting an access panel behind the seat
|Fabricating and installing a panel so back
of seat belt anchor can be accessed
|Belt now positioned over driver's shoulder,
than across his neck
|Horns replace, now working
|Installing new front brake rotors
|Lock tabs folded over
||Rear tabs had not been previously folded,
has now been corrected
Today we have been fabricating and installing new brake lines and balancing the road wheels. Previous balance weights had been glued in position where they contacted the calipers when the wheels rotated. There is so little clearance between the top of the calipers and the inner surface of the wheel rim, that you really have to use clip on weights attached to the inner bead. Several of the old balance weights were missing altogether and others were barely attached.
|Hard lines to rear calipers were strained
actually cracked open when removed
|New lines were fabricated and installed
|New line fabricated and installed much
around top of front right caliper
|After cleaning FR inner rim, damage caused
brake line contacting inner rim clearly visible
|Balance weights had been glued where there
was insufficient clearance for calipers
|Cleaning inner rims prior to re-balancing
|Bead clip balance weights are a simple fix
to caliper clearance problems
|All 4 door hinge pins are now secured with
cotter pins and E clips
Another productive day working our way through several issues. Unfortunately we discovered a few new issues, such as brake lines rubbing inside wheels, and defective air horns, etc, but we were still able to check off several items today.
|Brake line rubbing against inner rim of
front right wheel
|Witness marks show where brake line has
contacting inner rim
|Engine cover release handles were missing
grommets on both sides
|Missing rubber grommets caused handles to
and clunk around
|A little shrink wrap and a custom
washer was a cheap and cheerful fix
|Lock nut was missing from the back of the
side handle - now installed
|Door hinge pins need securing
||Upper passenger side pin literally about to
|#3 fuse was vacant and keyed, so we decided
to use it for the new fan relay
|Fan relay now wired in
|Fan relay positioned by battery
||New circuit breaker
We are happy to get this new project underway. Our first task will be to address several electrical issues. We have already rebuilt the right hand headlamp mechanism, installing a new bronze crank gear, rewired the headlamp motor and rebuilt and rewired the fog lamp switch. You now have fully operational headlamps and fog lamps.
|RH exhaust tip has been pushed up into the
valance, causing slight damage to the valance
|Slightly damaged chassis tube extension
||Brake rotors will be replaced
|Damage under front right corner
|Small dent at front left corner
||Inoperative fog lamps are loose on their
|New bronze gear will be installed in RH
|Headlamp motor was wired incorrectly
|Auxiliary (switch operated) fan was
||Clock is inoperative. Good power and
almost certainly internals bad.
|Both headlamps now operational