Type FHC (JB)
More hardware for this CJ alumnus. Well done Jay!
Winner first time out at Gather on the Green, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Your dad would have been very proud, Jay.
A few photos of your car sporting a set of CJ Borrani wheels!
Happy customer Jay
(in light blue shirt) with some of the CJ team that
contributed to the restoration of his beautiful E Type
I am pleased to report that this very cool project has now been completed and your beautiful E Type is ready to head home! I am sure that your dad would have appreciated your efforts to keep the car looking just as it did when he owned it new.
|Jay pulling the car from a 20 year
|Ran car (and trailer) through the car wash
the way home!
|Jay about to head south to Classic Jaguar in
|Jay arriving safely at CJ the following day
to get the restoration underway!
|Two years later, the restored car is ready
head back to Chicago
|Fit and finish is exemplary throughout
|Restored original steering wheel looks new
|Love the original decals and badges
by your dad
|Engine bay looks just as it did in 1965
|Tool Bag Company leather case and a CJ
tool roll....just in case!
The new Lucas Tripod headlamps have now been installed, as well as the original screen and quarter light glass, complete with period 1960's decals.
|Tripod headlamps look great
|Fantastic old 1960's decal!
|Original 1960's badging has lovely patina
Final assembly, continued...
|OEM style radiator installed
|Original fan shroud cleaned up like new
|Rebuilt SU carbs installed
|Doors assembled and installed
|Panel fit is beautiful throughout
|Almost time to install the original windscreen
Lots of progress in the trim room...
|Rear bumpers and lamps now in place
|Installing luggage rails to boot boards
|Original rear window clean up very nicely
|Tailgate door has been trimmed
|Original, unrestored body tag replaced on
license plate panel
|Rebuilt engine now installed
|Installing Dynamat throughout the cabin
|Original Konis will be rebuilt at the Koni
I am pleased to report that your car has now made it back into the trim room where the reassembly continues apace...
|Carlos has started gluing red moquette inside
|Alex has begun the process of installing your
new wiring loom
|New gas tank installed
|Dynamat will be installed trhoughout the cabin
Installing front and rear suspension systems, car now rolling again...
|Engine frames and front suspension now
|Installing the rebuilt IRS
|Almost ready to be set on the wheels
We have now painted your firewall, bonnet, engine frames and all associated body color items. It won't be long now before this E Type is back on its wheels!
|Original SU carbs have been restored and
Painting in progress...
|Base coat applied, clear coat next
Painting the underside of the floors...
Painting inside the cabin on Thursday...
Applying the first of the Opalescent Golden Sand paint. First to be painted is the underside of the bonnet...
With the bodywork stage of this project now completed, we have applied sprayable polyester to all of the outer panels.
We have now completed the panel replacement and lead work..
|Installing the new left lower quarter
|Right hand panel also now welded in place
We now have the body restoration of this car underway. Our first task is to cut away the old floors and lower quarter panels...
We have now completed the block machine work..
|Align honing in progress
|Setting up to torque plate hone the cylinders
|Surfacing the deck surface with timing chain
|Engine block now ready for assembly
We have now completed your Stage One cylinder head rebuild.
|Head on the surfacing machine
|Measuring the cc in order to calculate
precise compression ratio
|Machined head ready for assembly
Back from being media blasted, the bonnet is clearly in very poor condition, but the main body shell, doors and tailgate are all relatively sound. Other than the need for a new bonnet, really no nasty surprises!
|Lower quarters will require attention
|Evidence of accident damage at front right of
|Bonnet is in poor shape and will be replaced
|These rust holes were lurking beneath the
jute insulation pads
|Similar issues on right side of main floors
We have finished tearing down your E Type and placed the monocoque on one of the rotisserie jigs for media blasting back to bare metal..
|Outer sills cut away prior to media blasting
|Definitely the right decision to remove
|Grinding rusted/seized fasteners in order to
disassemble bonnet for blasting
|Engine will be fully rebuilt
With the assistance of long time owner Jay Butler, we now have this project underway. Jay had asked if he could be a part of the tear down process, so we invited him to work alongside Carlos in the trim room, where he helped remove the interior, glass and bright work.
|Interior has never been removed on Jay's car
|Jay removing the passenger door window
|Boot floor looks to be in great condition
|Carlos cleaning seat runners
|Untouched factory wiring
|Rare to see this alloy strip still in place
|Nesting has occurred behind the headlamps
|Jay about to tear down the seats
|Rarely seen seat base bracket
|Factory trimmer's initial "M" stapled into
|Interesting to see how the factory shaped the
|Car now in the mechanical shop about to have
suspension and drive train removed
We are delighted to have this extremely original, one family owned E Type on way to us for a total restoration. We are scheduled to have this exciting project underway in the next few weeks.