1967 427 Corvette (JK)
Driver restoration by Classic Jaguar


 
 

 

This spectacular, matching number, 427/435 HP Corvette recently underwent a major restoration in the CJ workshops. The work performed included a full (almost 600 HP) engine rebuild, numerous performance and reliability upgrades, and extremely high quality paintwork. The car is in absolutely stunning condition.

All original parts not re-used in the restoration have been retained.
 
 


 

 
 
The finished article - a 600 HP beast!

 
 
     
 
 
 
 
   
     
 
 
 
 
   
     

 


We installed three of the four hubcaps. Unfortunately, we think the fourth may have been with among the parts you took back home after your last visit....

 
     

 


Initial fire up went very well....



 


Carlos has finished installing the custom carpets, the doors and lamp pods have been installed and adjusted, and the new sepentine pulley system is now in place. We are running out of excuses not to fire this thing up!

 
 
Doors and headlamp pods 
now installed
Carlos re-dyed your original 
door panels
 
 
 
 
New serpentine pulley set installed
Carpet installation now complete


Trial fitting hood....

 
 
     

 


Upgrading the Vette's carpets...

 
Old carpeting is tired
   

 
 
 
   
Measuring and cutting new bulk
carpet
Installing vinyl binding to carpet 
edges
 

 
 
 
   
Left rear arch completed
Installing stereo wires
Rear bulkhead now completed



 
Starting point a roll of high
quality black carpet
 The old jack cover
 

 
 
 
   
     


Engine and transmission now installed...

 
 
     

 


We have now completed your engine rebuild and expect to have the big block and new 5 speed installed in the next few days...

 
     

 
 
 
   
 
     
     

 


Engine assembly in progress...

 
 
 Pistons now installed
 
Installing the camshaft 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 
 
 
 AFR heads going into place
 
 

 


Time for final assembly...

 
 
Micro-polishing crankshaft
 Setting ring gaps

 

 

 
 
 Installing pistons and rods


With all the machine work completed, we stripped the block back to bare iron and gave it a fresh coat of Chevrolet orange. The last photo in this sequence shows Kevin balancing your new crankshaft. Final assembly is underway as I post this update...

 
   

 
 
 
 
   

 


Masking and painting the 427 hood stinger...

 
 
Darrell masking off to paint the stinger
 
Painting the Ermine White
 
 
 
 
   
Javier unmasking prior to applying
clear coat
Ready for clear coat
The finished article


The photos I took yesterday evening in the artificial booth light made the Rally Red look a little lighter than it really is. In natural sun light this morning, you get a better idea of the true color.

 
   
Surfacing the big block

 


Painting in progress....

 
     

 



 

Measuring deck height in order to calculate desired head gasket thickness



 
 
 
Slick Sand being blocked
Glasurit filler primer applied
 
 
Cylinder honing in progress


Time to address the block...

 
Block has a number of bad helicoils
Magnafluxing in progress
Forged rods

 
 
 
   
 
New crankshaft
Align honing main journals
 

 



More parts delivered, including TKO five speed, ss headers and exhaust, Dr. J's carb, Wiseco forged pistons, etc, etc..

 
Dr J carb
TKO 600 five speed
Big bore headers
 
 
 
 
   
     

 


Lots of parts delivered (including some very cool alloy heads), seat retrim underway, bodywork in progress...

 
Trimming seats
   

 
 
 
   
Bodywork underway
Car was pretty wavy so we are going to smooth 
things out a little before we paint
Fabulous AFR heads

 
 
 
   
 
 
More goodies arriving every day!
 


Suspension, steering and steering upgrades now in place...

 
   

 
 
 
 

 


We have gone about as far as we can go with the suspension and brake upgrades until we receive the next batch of components, which should be later this week.

 
 
 
 We are still waiting for the rear spring
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Massive front sway bar
 Huge Wilwood rotors installed
up front

 
 
 
 
 
 Front suspension upgraded to C5
spec +
Everything so far has fit perfectly,
including the power steering rack
 

 


Steering and suspension upgrades...







We will be using some very serious Wilwood brakes at both ends of this car....

 
 
Rear hubs and 4 pot calipers
 
13 inch rotors up front

 
 
 
   
Massive 6 pot calipers for front
New tandem master cylinder
and proportioning valve
Front hubs barely weigh 2 lbs


We have now removed and disassembled your engine. As we suspected, the cause of death was a spun rod bearing...

 
 
Engine in the machine shop for
post mortem examination

 
 
 
 
 
The smoking gun - a spun rod
bearing


I am pleased to report that your car arrived safely in Austin on Tuesday morning and we already have the mechanical rebuild underway. The first task is to pull the engine and investigate what caused its sudden and dramatic demise.

I hope you enjoy following the work in progress over the coming months.


 
 
 
Original 427 engine will be rebuilt
Rockers are way out of adjustment

 

Go to main CJ workshop